Sunday, November 6, 2011

Post #8

I just so happen to have done a presentation about Child Abduction before I read one of this week's articles, "New Media and Society". This article discussed parental attitudes towards the interent and how it effected how and when they let their children use it. It seems that some parents were afraid of on-line predators and were hesitant to let their children use the interent at first because of it. On-line predators are a real threat, while most are sexual predators some even turn into child abuctors. Parents have every right to feel hesitant to let their young children use the interent for this reason. While this is a real threat, it did seem that most parents out grew the feeling of this threat and were more afraid to let their children use the internet because they had lack of information on it or less accessibility to it. Parents should definitely guard their children from dangerous things on the internet, however, as seen in other articles, using the internet can be a very positive social aspect to someone's life. As seen in the "Benefits of Facebook Friends" article, people were able to maintain old friendships and create opportunities for themseleves from holding on to these relationships and keeping in touch with others. I think the internet has a lot of positives and negatives, but if used correctly it can positively effect almost every aspect of one's life - such as jobs, relationships, and opportunities. Parents should be skeptical of the internet but try to keep an open mind and learn more about it so they can teach their children how to safely use it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree it is important to keep a perspective. It's very difficult at times to do that when it comes to our children. I have a 13 year old daughter and my worry has more to do with her maturity, her ability to make judgements and assessments about these matters. As her mother i think it's up to me to decide whether she is READY for the responsibility to have access to the internet. I don't feel that the internet is the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the internet has both positives and negatives. As for young children, they tend to be implusive and usually don't consider long term consequences. So it's necessary that they use the internet under the proper guidance of their parents, which means, the parents need to learn more about computer knowledge first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Parents need to pay attention and question what their children are doing while they're online. Afterall, kids are very naive and easy to trick. Parents need to sail that happy medium - attentive without being overly protective.

    ReplyDelete